An orthodontist is a licensed dentist who specializes in the correction of dental irregularities such as crooked teeth, overcrowded teeth, and over- or underbites.
GVM International offers high-quality orthodontic care for adults and children. We use the latest technology in the orthodontic field for diagnostics, planning and treatment, so our patients know they are receiving the best care possible. With personalized plans, less discomfort and cosmetic options, we find the perfect fit for every person.
If you see one or more of these orthodontic symptoms of a bad bite, you may benefit from orthodontic treatment:
- Crowding – when there is not quite enough room in the jaw for the size of the teeth and the teeth are turned, tipped or at strange angles in the mouth. This can happen anywhere in the mouth but is most often seen at the front. This often worsens with age.
- Spacing – this may be due to missing teeth or may happen if the teeth and jaw sizes don’t quite match. The gap might be in one place only or gaps might appear between many teeth.
- Overbite – or “buck teeth” where the top front teeth appear to stick out too far forward of the lower teeth. Dentists and orthodontists call this an excessive overjet.
- Underbite – here the upper front teeth appear to bite directly on top of or behind the lower teeth. The dental term for this is a reverse overjet.
- Deep bite – the top front teeth cover more than a couple of millimetres of the lower front teeth so that not much, if any, of the lower front teeth can be seen when the back teeth are together.
- Open bite – when there is a gap between the biting part of some of the upper and lower teeth when the back teeth are together.
- Cross bite – when some of the upper teeth bite down on the wrong side of the lower teeth when the back teeth are together. This can be at the front or at the back.